Hello everybody, last week we discussed about form of other. Today, I will explain to you about Personal Pronouns. A Pronoun is used in place of a noun. Pronouns are short words and can do everything that nouns can do. common pronouns are he, she , you, me, I, we, us, this, them, that.
Without pronouns, we'd constantly repeat nouns.
For the first :
1. The noun it refers to is called the "antecendent" for example :
a) I read a novel. It was good.
In a) : The pronoun it refers to the entecedent noun novel.
b) I read some novels. They were good.
In b) : The pronoun they refers to the entecedent noun some novels.
* A singular pronoun is used to refer to A singular noun. A plural pronoun is used to refer to a plural noun.
2. Sometimes the antecedent noun is understood, not explicitly stated. For example :
c) I like noodle. Do you like noodle too?
In c) : I refers to the speaker, and you refers to the person the speaker is talking to.
3. Subjects pronoun are used as subjects of sentences. For example :
d) Budi has a car. He drives to work.
4. Object pronouns are used as the objects of verbs. For example :
e) Tara works in my office. I know him well.
5. Posessive pronouns are not allowed immediately by a noun;they stand alone. For example :
f) That book is hers. Yours is over there.
6. Possesive adjectives are followed immediately by a noun;they do not stand alone. For example :
g) Her book is here. Your book is over there.
1. This is ____ speaking.
d. He John
2. Anna is as smart as ____ is.
3. Terry is taller than ____ am.
1. B. He
2. A. She
3. C. I